Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Verse that Comes Before~

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned , in whatsoever state I am , therewith to be content.
I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.


Philippians 4:13 is one of my all-time favorite Bible verses.  I 've always thought it was interesting though, how most people only quote 13, and NOT verses 11 and 12.  We're all for  abounding,  not  so much  for suffering need.   If you think about all of Paul's trials,  this verse has so much more meaning because of them.  He was a man scourged, beaten, starved, imprisoned, stoned, forgotten, reviled, betrayed,  and eventually beheaded for his faith in Christ,   and yet his writings in this verse state that some how he learned to be content.   Content?  Really?  Hungry ,  cold,   and  destitute?  That's quite a feat!  But , how did  he accomplish this miraculous task?   Through Christ.   Of course Paul was not saying that being thirsty , alone,  and attacked  was fun.  But,  he is saying that if he has Christ though he be in pain, and betrayed,  he has the ultimate assurance that he has  a greater  end than just physical death here on earth.  He has the knowledge  that he will be taken to Heaven! 
  It can be really easy to quote Scripture when things are going great.  "  I can do all things, " people say when it is YOU experiencing the difficulty.  But , this is just so many words on the page if there is no compassion or empathy behind them.  We must remember that what the person is going through is their pain, and their heartache.  Yes, we can do all things through Christ.  But let us remember those words were hard -earned for Paul, and for many others.  They have been abased, hungry  and beaten down through their troubles.  Make sure we let them know that we understand the verses that come before the "overcoming"  of their tragedies. 


Here's to not just a helping word,  but a helping hand~ Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment