Saturday, April 23, 2011

Under Glass~

Here's a poem I wrote about feeling like an experimental lab rat at Children's Hospital.  I get that it's a teaching hospital associated with University Hospital, but when Joseph was born I didn't really appreciate the way some of the doctors and interns behaved when they came to "observe" my child.  I look at it now, and understand, but then it just seemed really invasive.  I was a new mother, and not sure about how all this was going to play out anyway.  Thankfully, we have 12 years of experience in now, and it's not such a big deal!



Microscope~

I'm not sure what you came to see,
my child is not a freak!
He's not an anomaly, or an aberration,
or any of those things you seek.
He's rare,that's true,
but he's still a person inside,
He's not some cultured substance,
to be viewed  under a slide.
He's got thoughts and feelings,
and as a Mother I do too,
you should think about that,
when you bring in your crew.
Don't make un-called for comments,
like we're not standing here,
something's wrong with my child,
 and all I feel is fear.
I don't get that you're trying,
to better the world as a whole,
MY baby is all that matters,
in MY heart and soul.
So just remember we are people,
not  only numbers on a line,
Keep the faces with the stats,
when you come to do your time.


For Joseph~ from Mom

Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment