Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Now If I Only Had My Cape!~

As a mother of teenagers, do you know how many times I've picked up the phone to apologize to my own mother?  ~ Kristy Borgeld
This year , my oldest son will be 13.  He is really sweet and fairly mature for that age, so I really can't complain.  But, I'm telling ya', this parenting thing is a LOT harder than anyone ever lets on.  I was a fair pain in the backside ( no snarky comments from anyone who grew up with me!)  so looking back on it now, I wonder how my mother kept her sanity.  It's  not easy , day in, and day out, to try to point your children in the right direction, keep them focused on school, teach them manners, and respect for their elders, instill moral virtues, keep them away from bad elements, feed them, clothe them, and so on the list goes.  When I was 13, I had my first job. By the time I was 14 , I had two.  So, I'm not a stranger to hard work.  But parenting has to be by far, harder than even two jobs at once.  There's a statistic somewhere that says if mothers got paid according to the work they do, no one could afford to hire us for the position!  You have to be the chef, doctor, nurse, mediator, advocate, dry cleaners, dishwasher, maid, driver, pyschiatrist, advice columnist, personal shopper, and soooooo much more. Of course in some people's cases you have to add their regular "paying" job, and home schooling on top of that!  So,  I give you props , Mom.....how you managed to raise two fairly decent kids is a miraculous feat worthy of sainthood, I think.  And to all you other moms out there, myself included, let's keep on keeping on, the payoff will be worth it in the end!
Here's to the superheroes of the world, MOMS~ Ruby Jeanette

1 comment: