Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Long, and Not So Long

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do  than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbour.  Catch the trade winds in your sails... Do it now! Why? ... Well, just because... Dream Explore Action Discover~Mark Twain

Life is short , and you are a long time dead.  ~ Irish proverb


Sometimes I disappoint myself with the things I do.  I  have in mind  a certain thing, and then I end up doing something completely different.  I have a bad habit of a doing the opposite of what's expected of me, out of contrariness.  I don't intentionally do it.  It's just I have a problem with what might be other people's ideas of where I should be headed.  I always figured , me and God , had it pretty well worked out.  But, I think maybe Mr. Twain had it right.  He's always been an inspiration to me.  He lived how he wanted, and pretty much didn't care what other people thought about it.  But , for him to say we will be more disappointed in the things we didn't do, then the things we did, speaks to me.  Maybe , not necessarily turning into a people pleaser, because I could never turn into one of those, but thinking more from the other person's side of the page.  Sail in their direction, sometimes , instead of always, having to be the captain. I do want to dream, explore, action, discover.  But, I don't want to mow people down to do it.  Life is short, and people are important.  They matter, and when you are a long time dead, they are the ones who keep the memory of you.  Not your experiences, or your discoveries, or your exploration. If the people who came into contact with you don't remember you, and remember you well, you are a long time dead indeed.

Here's to living well~ Ruby Jeanette

2 comments:

  1. Your grandpa always said, "Short time here, long time gone."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandpa was a wise man, and he will never be a long time dead , for he is remembered well.

    ReplyDelete