Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Old- Fashioned

Our family had the most fun yesterday, that we have had together in a while.  We went out together into the woods behind our house, and cut down our own Christmas tree.  When I was a little kid , this was one of my favorite parts of  the holidays.  My  dad had this old '65 model Chevrolet truck, and he always knew someone with a patch of woods, where we could look.  I don't even remember what year we finally got an artificial tree, maybe when I was thirteen or fourteen years old.  It was kind of sad, actually, because we didn't do the family tradition anymore.  So, we decided to revive this holiday outing for our family.  Plus, one of the most fun things about a live tree, is that you have to do the homemade decoration thing, too.  You know the ones I mean, the paper rings,and the construction paper stars, and the popcorn strings.  What was funny about the whole situation yesterday is , that my kids have never had a live tree before.  So , this was a totally new experience for them.  They were so excited!  A real tree, from outside? And we get to put it inside the house?! Plus , spend hours with construction paper and scissors?  It was a Christmas dream come true, for them, and only cost a couple bucks for the paper and glue.  So , I remember what my favorite part about the whole tree tradition for me was.  It was the fact that I had my whole family all together for that time of cutting down and decorating. I don't remember the least expensive gift I ever received, and I don't remember the most expensive , either.  But, I remember an old truck, a cold day, and  a warm family. That is the best holiday memory of all.

Here's to the ones we remember most~ Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment