Friday, December 10, 2010

Pierced ears, and lemonade

You know the hardest thing about having cerebral palsy, and being a woman?  It's plucking my eyebrows.  That's how I originally got pierced ears.  ~ Geri Jewell

 
If life hands you lemons,make lemonade.

Cerebral palsy is a terrible condition, so is lupus.  I have often thought about what my life might be like if I did not have lupus.  When I think about those things, it is usually in the context of how my life would be better.  I'd have more energy, I wouldn't get fevers, or come down with every bug that comes along.   I'd be able to go anywhere and not have to worry about the sun, or that the disease might flare up while I'm on vacation.  But, then , sometimes I think,  "If I did not have lupus, how might it change my life for the worse?" The worse , you say? How could you be worse off  without a disease?  I have discovered that in the course of this illness, over the last 12 years,  that there is an upside!  I have so much more compassion now.  Compassion for those in pain, and who are experiencing hardships.  I have so much more patience with the elderly and the weak.  I take time now to listen when someone says " Sometimes I don't know if I can make it through this."  I was not a very responsible kid, or a very patient one.  I was sometimes slow to realize when others had needs that outweighed my own.  And, although, I am by no means a perfect person these days, I realize that without the burden of lupus, I would not be the person I am.  I have learned and discovered so much about myself, and other people, then I ever would have without it.  So , sometimes, when a day seems especially hard, I remind myself that every situation in my life, God can use to make me into a better person.  Day by day, I am working on myself ,with His help.  Day by day, I hope to keep using my lemons to make lemonade!

Here's to the upside~ Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment