Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Dear Daddy....~

I wanted to take a few minutes and say, Happy Birthday!  You're the big 6-2, and retired now, and you've earned it. I have to tell you , I appreciate how hard you've worked over the years, and all the struggles you put up with at your job.  I know you did it for Mom, Neva and me.  Mark's mom and dad are both gone now, and I see how lucky I am to still have you and Momma too.  Even though we had our share of disagreements over the years, I never had to wonder if you loved me.  That was a given. 
   My very first memory of you and me together is going hunting on Fowler's Hill.  I wanted so badly to be the "big squirrel hunter" . Mom laid out all my clothes and told me I would have to get up early to go.
You woke me up the next morning, saying "Jay , you going to get up?"  I got around and got ready, and you let me take the 4-10. I was so excited! We got in your old blue '65 and went to the hill. It was just coming daylight.  I remember how quiet and still the woods were.   You could smell all the fallen leaves and pine needles.  You had brought my sleeping bag in case I got cold.  You found the perfect tree and sat down, and I got down in the sleeping bag to wait for the perfect opportunity for a squirrel to come  out. I know I talked for a long time, and probably just about drove you crazy!  "What's that noise, Daddy?  What kind of tree is that?  There's a big bug , what is that?  When will the squirrels come? I'm getting warm now, Daddy.   If I take a little nap, will you wake me up when the squirrels come?  Okay."  The next thing I remember is you shaking me a little saying "Jay , you going to get up?"  So , I spent my first big hunting trip asleep .  There is something still so magical about the woods at dawn to me.  The smell of the earth and early morning will always remind me of you Daddy.  I would say that this was my favorite memory of us together, but it would have to compete with so many!  You letting me "drive" down the old dirt road, while I was in your lap.  You letting me "help" you in the shop.  You taking me down the old roads of your childhood, showing me all the places you lived when you were small.  You  telling me all the funny stories about Aunt Glenda, Uncle Earl, and Uncle LarryDale.  Getting older , you , hugging me when my heart was broken by some boy.  You holding my hand to steady me , as I walked down the aisle, to marry the right boy.  You , saying the right thing when I was upset, or sometimes just saying nothing at all, just being there when I needed you to be. 
    I realize now Daddy that life is short, and we never have as many days as we plan on, or even hope to have . I didn't want to let another day go by without telling you how much you mean to me.  How every day of my life growing up, you were the person I most wanted to be like.  That you are the best Daddy I could have ever wished for.  So, on this birthday, I say thank you, and I am so blessed that you have been in my life.   I love you always..........Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment