Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Golden~

Summer starts today! Ha! Like it hasn't already been in the triple digits here for a month seems like.  It is only the middle of June, so I'm not sure I'm looking forward to July, and August.  Of course , too, the boys want to go swimming and fishing and all the regular summertime activities, as if it were not sweltering.  I can't blame them, though, before I was old ( and sick), I spent every waking hour outside in the summer and any  other time.  I spent most of my summers with the Spanhanks girls, the Leavins boys, and the Bailey boys.   We would walk, (yes , walk!)  2 or 3 miles down to the river to swim, or climb up in the barn in the evening to sit in the hay and wait for the sun to go down, and for the fireflies to come out.  John and I liked to sit under the peach tree in Papaw Davis' back yard and play.  Adam and I liked to sit on the old tree that had fallen across the small hidden creek by his house.  Of course, Ahlisha and Katrina and I spent our days swimming and riding our horses  into the river to cool off after a long ride, or a long day haying.  I think all the neighbors must surely have thought we were nothing but wild Indians , who surely would come to no good, what with all the running around we did.  But , we stayed out of trouble, (mostly).  Of course , this was before boys .  Well, before boys became something other than our buddies and playmates.  So , I've got great memories of the good ol' summertime.  I understand the magic that my boys still see.  Long days stretched out with endless possibilities.  No school.  No jobs. No responsibilities.  All the energy to be what you want, and go where your dreams take you.  It's a frozen , crystal time for them.  They won't know it now, but they'll look back and think, " Man. We had it good."

Here's to the possibilities of summer~ Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment