Sunday, May 29, 2011

Grass~

Grass~
This poem was written by Carl Sandburg and published in Cornhuskers in 1918. 
We have had our soldiers overseas for nearly ten years now, and this is Memorial Day weekend, so I thought I would post some poems in honor of those still fighting and those of the fallen. 


Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo.
Shovel them under and let me work-
               I am the grass;I cover all.
And pile them high at Gettysburg
And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and let me work.
Two years , ten years, and passengers ask the conductor:
               What place is this?
               Where are we now?
              
                I am the grass.
                Let me work.

Lest we forget~ Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment