Wednesday, May 4, 2011

BigFoot~

To All  Mothers Everywhere~

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Mother's Day is this Sunday, and I am blessed to still have my mother.  Mark's mom died when he was really young, and so Mother's Day is sometimes hard for him.  Mothers as a whole are not celebrated enough I don 't think.  I mean sure, we have Mother's Day, but really what else do we do to celebrate the position of motherhood?  The entire idea of mothers actually has diminished in society's eyes.  Women aren't much interested in staying at home, and mothering.  Now, I'm not talking about single mothers, who must work to support their children.  And I probably will offend some people by this statement.  It's not meant to be offensive.  I am however tired of people assuming that because I choose to stay home with my children , and be a "full-time" mother ( is there any other kind?) , that my life is somehow less fulfilling than theirs.  I don't make comments to them, about "Why are you working?  Or going to school, etc?"  I do not judge them for their choices.  It would be great if I could say the same.  The comments of , "Doesn't it drive you crazy to be home all the time with your kids?" , and "Well , I wish we could "afford"  for me to stay home." , are really not fair.  We make sacrifices for me to be able to stay home.  And no, it doesn't drive me bonkers to be with my kids all day.  And no, I 'm not a dummy.  I could have gone to school, it wasn't for lack of smarts.  But, the whole point of this soap-box speech, lol, is that they are MY choices.  You made YOUR choices, and I don't fault you for them.  I don't feel compelled to tell working women , "Why don't you stay home?"  But for some strange reason , some of them feel compelled to say "Oh, you mean you don't WORK?"  Please afford me more respect than that! I mean really!  A non -working mother is like BigFoot, a non -existent animal!We ALL work!  I am glad to be a mother, and glad to be home.  If that isn't your cup of tea, I'm glad for you too!  Mutual respect would go a long way!  As they say on FB,  "Just sayin'. "


Here's to the wisdom of mothers everywhere~ Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment