Friday, May 6, 2011

Blessed~

Mother's Day is Sunday and I am very lucky and blessed to still have my mom with me.  As I said the other day , Mark's mom passed away when he was very young.  But , he did not lack for motherly love. He had both his Grandmas, and many aunts,  who were there to let him know he was loved.  I think it's been one of the greatest blessings in my life, that I have had many adopted Grandmothers, and Aunts.  I had Granny Jo Spanhanks who was always there in the summer to let me and her other grandchildren run wild on her land, and down to the river.  I had Grandma Geneva , who was always there with encouragement and a big hug and a kiss when I needed that. I had Mamaw Ruth, who always knew that sometimes the best thing to say is I love you.  I 've had Sister Ruby Walls, who let me know that she thought I was special, and she was glad to see me( Why? I've often wondered?lol) I've had Nan Chandler who would always offer her unvarnished opinion which is sometimes a good thing.  I had my Aunt Rachael who always let me know I had great potential and pushed me to always do my best.  I had my Aunt Lola who always lent a listening ear, when sometimes, I thought this world is NEVER going to make sense!  And I've been blessed with a great relationship with my Mom now.  It was not always so peachy, let me tell you.  I was somewhat of a brat, if you can believe that.  I pretty much expected everything to be my way , or you could hit the highway, and didn't quite understand why others didn't feel the same.  So , I was difficult.  I wonder that it's not my MOM who's bald-headed now, instead of my Dad.  She surely felt like yanking it all out on occasion.  But, I did grow up eventually, and I understood that things couldn't be all my way , all the time.  (Most of the time, yes, but not all the time.)  Anyhow, I think I turned out alright.  But, I don't know if I could've said the same if I hadn't had all these great ladies to help me out.  It's definitely helped shape me into the person I am today.   So , thanks to them, and if you are "done" mothering your own children and they are grown, don't underestimate being an adoptive "Aunt" , "Grandma" or even "Mom".  It makes a huge difference.

Here's to all my Grandmas, Aunts, and special ladies~ Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment