Sunday, February 27, 2011

Is'nt It Supposed to Be Fun?~

  This is Academy Awards Sunday and several new movies also debuted this weekend.  With a surprise upset, leading the weekend was the animated version of the classic Shakespeare tale,  "Gnomeo and Juliet".  It opened to a rousing 75.1 million dollars for it's first weekend.  Following , in the number 2 and number 3 positions were  "Hall Pass", (starring Owen Wilson), and "Unknown" , (starring Liam Neeson), which opened at 13.4 million and 12.4 million , respectively.   What is funny about this whole weekend is , that all three of these films were pretty much hated on by the critics.   The public , supposedly who the movies are made for, loved these movies enough to shell out theater money for, but the critics, who get in the movies for free, said they hated them.  Well, I'm no expert on films, or great "art pictures", or anything like that, but I've seen a few movies in my 32 years.  And I guess what I don't understand is, I thought movies first and foremost were supposed to be fun.  I know movies can do lots of things.  They can enlighten us about certain issues, they can make us think.  But most people I know do not sit around thinking,   "Hmmm....let's go to the movie theater and have an intellectual conversation!".  No.  They say,  " I heard about this great movie opening this weekend!  It sounds fun!  Do you want to go?".  If they want to enrich their lives they give their money to a church or a school. I remember being a child and going to the theater to see Star Wars, or Benji. These were fun times , not necessarily great "Learning" moments.  I think critics should remember what is like to be a child, and remember that the reason we go to movies is that they are supposed to be fantasies that help us escape .  And maybe then they will rate their movies differently.
Here's to a great , fun, time at the theater~  Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment