Thursday, February 10, 2011

Emotional Kindergartners~

Tuesdays and Wednesdays are nice days for me.  I get to fix lunch for my dad and mom.  We always have a nice visit, and enjoy each other's company.  We didn't get to have lunch together yesterday because of the ice and snow.  I realized how much I missed it.  I am very blessed to still have both of my parents living. My husband lost his mother when he was just 9 years old, and his dad , in 2009.  It is very hard for him sometimes. 
  I want to say up front, though, that even though I get along well with my parents now, it hasn't always been that way.  Sometimes , growing up , I think my dad must have surely wondered if we were two tom-cats , the way we were at each other.  (He is bald now, by the way.)  But, as much as we fought , I knew that my mom and dad loved me.  I didn't understand then, but understand now, that they had my best interests at heart.  Even if I had never come to this realization, they are still my parents.  I owe them respect, at the very least.  I don't understand how people can be so flippant about caring for their loved ones.   I don't always agree with my mother, but I wouldn't go for days without speaking to her.  Sometimes, she can be difficult,  sometimes , so can I!  But we love each other anyway!  My husband will tell you,  he'd give anything , anything!to have his parents back with him , to love just one more day. If you are arguing with a parent( or anyone , for that matter), ask yourself , "Will this matter tomorrow?".  "Will it matter in eternity?"  If not, then it really isn't that big of a deal.  We have to realize, our parents will never be perfect.  They are people too.  At some point you just have to put your big people undies on , and deal with it.  I promise, in the long run , you will be glad you had every moment with them. 


Here's to choosing to be a grown-up~  Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment