Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sticks and Stones?

I just want to start by saying , I am sure I have said my share of hurtful things to others.  I am not perfect.  There was only ONE who was.  But , I want to say something about all the negativity I've seen posted on places like FaceBook, and things like that.  I am not sure when it became o.k. to assassinate someone else's character on a public platform.  The things that I have seen posted lately are atrocious.  I am really not that old, but I can remember when this would not have been acceptable.  I remember being taught if you have a beef with a person , you go to that person, and tell them so.  I have a big mouth, I'll be the first to admit it.  But if you have got something hurtful to say, you should have the guts to say it in person.  If you want to lie about someone, do it with them right there, so they can call you on it, or at least tell their side.  Why is this behaviour tolerated?  When did it become politically correct to be so snarky, and  basically hateful?  When I was little that was considered Kindergarten behaviour, and when you grew up, you were expected to act like an adult.  Words are extremely hurtful, and can cause pain beyond your wildest imaginings.  I have been in pain physically many times, and that always goes away.  But the words we use to stab other people, those wounds do not heal .  You will always remember the things that someone said to cut you.  The internet is a wild and mostly fun place.  It can be used to uplift or destroy.  To kill or heal.  What will you use this power for?  


Here's to kindness for our fellow human beings~  Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment