Thursday, January 27, 2011

For the Farmer~

This is a poem I wrote when my Grandpa was in the hospital in 2000.  He was my friend, my gardening teacher, my boss in the summer growing season, my driving tutor , my guidance counselor, and so many other things I couldn't list them all.  When I wrote this poem, I was praying for him to get better, but he died the next day.  I was 8 months pregnant with his great -grandson.  Grandpa, we can't wait to see you again,   We love you!   P.



For the Farmer~

Lord, I've got a favor,
to ask of You today.
It's not for me, but I guess
it kind of is, in a way.
My Grandpa's sick , I guess You know,
in quite a bit of pain.
And so I ask, for You to help,
him feel better for today.
But, if to make him well again,
is not what 's in Your plan,
Please Lord, take him on with You,
and hold him by the hand.
His life's been hard, that I know,
he's struggled many years.
His body's tired, his hands have wiped,
his eyes of many tears.
So , I guess I've one more favor,
to ask of You today.
It might not seem like much , Lord,
for you to make a way.
But, when he gets up there with You,
and finally holds Your hand,
I wonder if you might give him,
a piece of farmin' land.
He grows the best tomatoes , Lord,
okra, corn, and peas.
But, down here Lord, it seems to me,
it never grows with ease.
So, up there on his new place,
let it all grow big and strong.
Let his heart be filled with joy,
and days never be too long.
Let him know we love him,
and we're waiting for the day,
we all can be together,
and always stay that way.


Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment