Tuesday, November 29, 2011

An " Invention", a Disappointment, and an IDEA.........~

I was a little disappointed with the purchase of the new hardback novel.  I have a bad habit of just reading the flaps, and not really looking THROUGH the whole thing.  And usually this is not a problem, cause I know the authors I like, and very rarely get a book I don't care for.  I like big, thick hardback books.  Although I will settle for a big thick paperback when I have to.  This was a big book, 500 plus pages.  And here's the kicker. Probably three-quarters of that was black and white illustrations.  Ohhhhhhhhh, I was so mad!  It's a beautiful book.  It's Brian Selznick's "The Invention of Hugo Cabret".  I hear it's a movie now, and hope to see it.  It's really a young adult book, but I don't generally mind those.  What aggravated me about it is I wanted it to last more than a day, because I wasn't feeling well, and was just looking forward to spending some down time with a book.  In hindsight , I suppose that's a dumb thing to be annoyed about, but I was.  It really is gorgeously illustrated, and it's got these black end papers, and chapter separators. Then, I had an idea!  I actually told my son what I most wanted to do with it now was to buy those gel pens, that write on dark paper, and scribble on all that fabulous dark glossy paper!  Shame on me , I know!  Defacing a book.  What depths I've sunk to.  It really is quite tempting though.  It almost seems as if the author intended for it to be written on.  Of course if you've read my blog any before, you know I kind of have this thing about paper.  Hobby Lobby, Michaels , Office Depot, any place with more than just plain white typing paper, has me drooling.  Scrapbook paper, drawing paper, construction paper, need I say more?  I've made a lot of scrapbooks, journals, and so on,  that I've illustrated.  I've never actually wanted to draw in a ready made book though.  Do you think if the library finds out, my card will be revoked?  I can hear the library ladies now,  "She actually wanted to scribble in a book!!"  Shock and horror.  Ohhhhhhh, my rebellious side calls me to run to the nearest purveyor of gel pens and scribble away......bwahahahahahahaha!!  Man. I either have too much time on my hands, too much going on in my brain , or both.  Maybe, just maybe, if I DRAW for a while, it will calm my brain...............:)

No comments:

Post a Comment