Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Do You NEED It?~

Have you ever had to "make do"?  For quite a few years now in America many people have lost interest in this concept.  "Making do" implied that you didn't have , or couldn't afford to get whatever it was that was involved. I remember one of my Dad's stories that he tells quite often, when he discusses this subject.  For a long time when he was growing up, they did not have electricity, indoor plumbing, or even their own rooms.  He said once they lived in a house with cracks so big in the walls, you could shoot rabbits outside.  The snow could drift in on you in your sleep.  And my Dad is by no means old.  This was only about 50 years ago.  And it wasn't for lack of my Grandpa Deer working.  He was  not afraid to work, and always had a job.  It's just that times were so hard.  People in America were still trying to recover from wars, and economic depression.  Sound familiar?  But, people knew how to "make do".  Could we do that now?  Could we live without electricity, indoor plumbing, and all the "extras" that people seem to think are so essential now?  I am by no means an alarmist, so please don't think I am saying "The sky is falling!", but I think we could all get by with a little less .  We are so consumed with the new, the now, the next, that we don't realize that most of it is just unnecessary .   People hurry from 50 hour a week a jobs, to their 40 thousand dollar cars, to their 250,000 dollar homes, so they can kiss their significant other, while THEY leave for their 50 hour a week a job, in THEIR 40 thousand dollar car.  And by the way , this is just a statement of fact, not a judgement.  If this is your lifestyle, I am not condemning you,  times are very tough.  But, I wonder sometimes if people slowed down long enough to think about it would they realize they really COULD "make do"?  With a smaller house, a less expensive car, or just maybe a little less money?  I don't live in much, but it's home to me.  I don't drive a new car, but it goes!  I can't afford to buy my kids the newest, the next "hot" thing, but they're not unhappy.  I guess it all comes back to the story my Dad tells.  I don't live in a house where you can shoot rabbits through the walls.  I have electricity, indoor plumbing, and even a room of my own.  That's more than "making do" , to me.............that's succeeding .


Here's to enjoying the blessings you have right now~  Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment