Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Rivers, Recess, and Realizations~

Have had a great day so far!  I just have to say, I think one of the greatest things about home schooling is that flexibility that comes with it.  This morning was special in that , we did our first half of school work, then we went to Riverside for "recess", and now we'll do the other half of school.  I made a new friend , I think, this week.  She homeschools , and I had known , as they say  here in the South, "of her", and knew who she was, but we had never really had occasion to get together, til now. She has a boy about the age of our two, and he was hankerin' for some "boy" company, as he has sisters, bless his heart!  We took him and his mom on our recess trip, and I think everybody just had a good time.  I sure enjoyed visiting with another home school mom, and the boys were hugely excited to have a new friend.  It's always a blessing to meet someone else who believes as you do, and that you have a lot in common with. I realize that some people think that homeschooled children are "unsocialized", but I don't find that true.  Maybe they don't socialize in the same ways, as a lot of their interactions take place with adults instead of children, but that's not entirely a bad thing, I don't think.    I do realize that everyone does need friends, and people that they can relate to.  But, I AM super-picky about what and who I let influence them, so I don't just say , "Sure. Go hang out with those people.",  or "Yes, you may sleep over at so and so's ," if I don't KNOW what kind of people they are.  That's not being judgmental, that's practicing safe parenting.  I realize, too, that it's always better to be safe than sorry, about things like that.  I don't think I have to worry about the boys growing up to be hermits, or anything like that, though.  The boy we met today seems like a good kid, and his mom is doing an awesome job with him and his sisters.  I'm glad I was able to visit with her, and hope the boys and I both have found a new friend!

Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment