Sunday, August 14, 2011

Reading , wRiting, and Rebellion?~

Well, it's that time of the year again!  That's right school days officially start again tomorrow.  In our home school we decided to wait and start Monday after next.  I really enjoy when school rolls around again.  You are never too old to learn something, and teaching my boys at home allows me to stay fresh, and learn everyday! I am a second generation homeschooler, and have schooled my boys since Kindergarten.  Back in the late 80's early 90's when my mom started to school us at home, it was very unusual, and we got a lot of negative comments.  Things like,  "Won't they suffer socially?"  and " Every homeschooler I ever met, was weird!"  and my favorite, "Won't they miss prom , and basketball?"  Teaching at home is much more common now, and seems to be more socially acceptable.  I still get comments sometimes, though.  The most common one I get is "How do you stand to be with your kids all day , everyday?"  "I would kill mine!"  Well, maybe it's just me, but I enjoy my children, and spending time with them!  Plus, homeschool has the advantage in that , I choose what information they are taking in.  I don't have to worry that they are learning something in contrast to our spiritual , or moral beliefs.  I don't have to worry that someone is offering them drugs, or beating them up on a daily basis.  And I know people will say that my kids are missing out on a lot of experiences.  But , truthfully how many of those experiences are good?  Peer pressure, drugs, sex , cliques, and just general bad behaviour are rampant in public school.  I don't think I mind that they are missing out on those experiences.  Now, I WILL say , homeschooling might not be for everyone.  It takes a lot of dedication, and a lot of sacrifice.  It adds to the already 24-7 schedule of a mom, and sometimes can be very frustrating.  But I guess I always figured, I've only got one shot with them, so I want to make it count!

Here's to school days and Golden Rule days! ~ Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment