Thursday, August 4, 2011

Just Listen~

I was just rearranging the songs on my playlist for my blog.  I got to thinking about how certain songs become the "playlist" of our lives.  The song "WildWood Flower" is one of my mom's favorite songs, and it's one of the first things I ever remember hearing her play on the guitar.  When I was little we had one of those "entertainment" centers in our family room.  Does anyone else remember those things?  Huge wooden boxes , which now make me think (creepily, actually) of coffins.  Ours had a radio, a record player, and .....wait for it.......an 8 - track cassette player.  I can remember spending many hours laying on the brown shag carpet, (flashback), reading and listening to the Statlers sing "Turn Your Radio On", Johnny Horton sing "North to Alaska", and the Oakridge Boys singing , "Elvira".  Daddy had an old 65 Chevy with an 8-track in it , too.  I remember driving down the old dirt backroads, windows rolled down, singing Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time" , which at the time I thought was just about the coolest song ever. ( It's still a pretty good song.)  Of course my childhood was also filled with church songs.  So many life memories attached to those!  Altar calls with "Are You Washed In the Blood?".  Sunday night worship with, "He Paid a Debt, He Did Not Owe".  Wednesday night prayers with "They That Wait Upon the Lord".  Revival, and singing for all we were worth, "Our God is An Awesome God!". I don't think when we are young we think about the fact that all these things attach themselves to certain memories.  I look back now, and think I am so glad that my life has had this particular soundtrack, because it's mostly happy and uplifting.  I have a few sad songs attached to a few melancholy memories, but they are very few and far between.  I hope when I am old, the happy songs and the memories they recall, far outweigh the sad ones!

Here's to making your own life playlist~  Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment