Tuesday, August 23, 2011

None of Their Business~

Okay.  I just finished reading this really disturbing news post on Yahoo! News.  We all know that there seems to be an "epidemic" of autism in this country.  Although I am not really sure where I stand on the idea of this, (I sometimes wonder if it isn't like ADHD, over -diagnosed), I don't disagree with the idea of it being a crippling developmental problem.  What caught my attention at first was the name of this article.  It's called "Assortative Mating".  First of all , apparently assortative is a made -up word, because it gives me the red line squiggly thing when I type it as it was spelled in the article.  Secondly, the idea behind this concept is that , now get this, is people smart in math and sciences, who marry other people smart in math and sciences, and have children , these children have a higher rate of autism.  Does the article provide all kinds of scientific proof for this so -called phenomenon?  No.  Shocker.  They don't even say WHY they are proposing this as a theory!  But what truly bothers me about this assumption of "two people intelligent in the same way" idea , is that what they are really tiptoeing around is the concept of marriage/child-rearing needing to be controlled in some way to keep this from happening.  This started with those genetic testing things they want couples  to get when they decide to have children.  Not that all of that is a bad thing, but if you follow this strand of thinking out to it's conclusion , you will see where this leads.  NOT good territory , people!  I don't want to see the future play out and have the government, or health care or whoever is leading this country in ten years, decide who my kids can marry , based on some genetic numbers game they are playing!  Do I wish Joseph hadn't been born with a heart condition, that "could have" been detected if they had some sophisticated test?  Of course!  But would I have decided NOT to have him?  Well, I don't know what you ate with your Wheaties this morning, but the answer is NO! Emphatically NO!  There are just some things that can't be manipulated.  Or shouldn't be , anyway.  Science meddles WAY too much in God's affairs , as it is.  This particular group needs to wake up and smell the coffee.  Okay. I have now officially finished my political rant for today, lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment