Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Fowl Play~

Okay.  I HAVE to relate something funny that happened yesterday.  Now at first I have to explain, and it won't sound funny, but it will  when you get to the end, so be patient, please!   We live out in the country, and we keep chickens.  Nothing fancy , just a bunch of this-n-that breeds, but they do lay eggs and are fun to watch.  They are really my boys' responsibility.  You know, the whole "chores-work-real life experience" thing.  We turn them out every day so that they can "graze".  Now, I don't know if any of you know anything about chickens,  but I'm here to tell you,   Chickens.  Are .  Stupid.   They do not even have the sense to get out of the road, when a truck is coming, and we have lost several of them that way.  Truck + chicken = not pretty    But , I'll go you one better! Here comes the funny part.  The highway department comes every summer and bushhogs the ditches.  That was what was happening yesterday.  I didn't think anything of it, until my youngest son comes in and says,"Momma! Momma!  The highway department man bushhogged a chicken!"  (Okay.  That was the part that was not going to SEEM funny, lol)  Denim was very perturbed!  I told him I was sorry, but that there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it.   A few hours later , he took the trash out to the curb, and came back in with a very sheepish look.   "Momma, the man did not bushhog a chicken..............it was a white plastic grocery sack."  I laughed, and laughed! 

Here's to the lowly Gallus Domesticus ( Latin for poor dumb chicken, lol)  ~ Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment