Friday, July 8, 2011

Child Star?~

Fame is a fickle food upon a shifting plate.

I do not like the man who squanders life for fame; give me the man who living makes a name. 

Emily Dickinson


Our society today is obsessed with fame. Being famous, being "known" seems to be an all-consuming passion these days.  It's even gotten to the point where like small children , bad attention is better than no attention at all.
I have never quite understood the fascination with the famous, and I have certainly never wanted to BE famous. Can you imagine ?  Your every move watched by millions, your every action photographed and talked about in magazines, newspapers, and the internet?  And really, all those millions are just waiting for you to screw up, the more publicly the better!  It's no wonder that celebrities go into meltdown.  What surprises me is that no more of them implode than what do.  Especially these child stars.  Making millions of dollars, having people who fulfill your every whim, being able to buy anything you want, and people practically falling over themselves to meet you.  I don't know about you, but it would take some major parenting to keep a kid from getting a big head over something like that! I would never hope for my children to be celebrities.  If they grow up and want to act or sing or something, I would say "Go for it." But not when they are still  young.  I just can't imagine that turning out well.  I 'll just be happy if they grow up healthy, happy and living good , clean , moral lives.  But, the way the world is going ,  as rare as that is, they might be more famous for that than for being a movie star!

Here's to "not " being famous~ Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment