Saturday, December 3, 2011

Information Overload~

I'm reading a really interesting book right now.  It's called Gangs of New York, and is the basis for the movie of the same name, by Martin Scorcese. The book was written by  Herbert Asbury, in 1928, and tells of the notorious Five Points area in New York city. 

  I guess I find it so interesting because it reads like a modern day thriller crime novel, except the events are real.  I know there have been a lot of people saying they think the world is WAY more terrible now, and wishing we could get back to "the good ole days".  Well, all I can say is they need to read this book.

  Let's see.......murder?  Check.  Thievery, abundant?   Check.  Rampant abortion?  Check, for that too.  Muggings, rape, cons, scams, violence, even the ministers were in on it!  Sound familiar?  A whole bar full of transsexuals, open homosexuality, people using drugs in public, and the government and police supported it all!  Do we know any places like that now?  Well, sure! 

  Solomon tells us in Proverbs, there is nothing new under the sun.  It's all been here before. It's just been so long ago , that no one is now alive to remember it.  So I have a theory , on why the world seems so much more scary.  We hear about it every where. It's on TV and the internet, and our phones, and in the car, the newspapers, everywhere!  The news is fast , now. Instantly nearly!  As Mark says, a squirrel toots in Asia, and we know about it 5 seconds later it seems.  Used to be, something might happen on the other side of the country, and we might not know about it until 3 or 4 months later.  So, it's information overload.  A constant bombardment of negativity, all day every day. 

  Now, I must say I do believe the world to be in a sorry state.  And I do believe the  Lord will come back soon, but I believe it's more because the prophecies in the Bible, not because of the shape of the world.  The world has always been in a sorry shape.  That's just the truth of it!  But I'm not going to go around , "The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!", I'm just going to live every day I get to the way I think the Lord would have me to , and let Him take care of the details.  I think it's better that way.

Here's to trusting in the "bigger" plan~ Ruby Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment