Friday, October 7, 2011

Only Little, A Little While~

I guess I should clarify what I was talking about on my FB page, and here is as good a place as any , I suppose.  There has been a lot of negative stuff posted lately on FB and other social sites, like the news page on Yahoo!.   Apparently Angelina Jolie's little girl Shiloh had a picture posted of her playing in the pool wearing nothing but a pair of boys style board shorts. The child in question is all of 4 or 5 years old, and obviously has nothing to show up on top.  What got the uproar started was that Angelina and Brad let her wear boys clothes.  I'm not really sure why this is such a problem for people, but the reaction it got was huge.  People went so far as to say the little one was going to grow up and be a homosexual just like her mom. I draw the line at that.  Now, let me just say,  I  don't agree with homosexuality.  But if one of my sons came to me and said , "Mom, I'm gay.", I would deal with it by saying, "Okay."  I might go cry in my room, or be upset, but I would never say, "I don't love you anymore."  Your kid is your kid, no matter what .  If they turn out to be an alcoholic or some other something, most people wouldn't turn from their child.  So. Back to your child dressing a certain way.  When I was little until the time I was 12 or so, I wore mostly boy type clothing.  I had a cowboy hat, boots, and more ball caps than a lot of guys.  I  DID not play with "girl" toys, wear makeup, high heels, or dress up like a princess.  I DID run around without my shirt, climb trees like Tarzan, shoot guns, and work in my Daddy's shop.  I was not "sexually confused".  I knew I was a girl.  I "liked" boys.  It was just more fun to be  a "tomboy" than a girly girl.  I mean , really, Camping versus Slumber/Makeup parties?  No brainer! But , I did start wearing makeup about age 14, and carrying a purse( horrors!).  I DID get married, and have children.  I wasn't growing up wondering if I was gay.  When I posted that on FB about our reactions, in saying that, I meant that my boys do not even know what gay is.  So if I over react to something one of them wants to wear, I think you can cause them to wonder, "Is that what I am?  What does that mean?".  Kids hone in on that kind of thing.  You know what I mean.  "Let's really freak Mom and Dad out!".  I guess what I'm really trying to say, is that kids are just kids.  A little girl wearing a ball cap and jeans is no more likely to turn out gay , than a little boy who paints his nails for Halloween.  Just let them be little for a little while!  The great big world slaps all of us in the face soon enough with all the hatred it can find.  I just want mine to be able to be okay in our little bubble , for a little while longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment